Location: Stornoway, Isle of Lewis
Length: 1.5 miles
1 ex- War Department 20hp Simplex – left derelict on course of route near the reservoir.
9x 1 cubic yard Du Croo & Brauns skip wagons
When the Simplex had it’s petrol engine removed in 1943 it was used as hand pushed flat wagon (shown in the photos above) until the line shut in the 1960s.
The line was originally built to aid in the construction of a dam to supply drinking water to Stornoway during the 1930s. G. Mackay & Son of Edinburgh were the contractors appointed to build the dam, upon completion of the project they left behind their locomotive, a 20hp ex-War Department Simplex.
This became the only loco operated by the Stornoway Water Works, and survived in operation until the 1940. In 1943 it had it’s petrol engine removed and was in use as a flat wagon being pushed along the route by hand.
It is not known what happened to the skip wagons used on the route. Rails were visible in the 1990s, and may still be today in places along the route.